Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yes, I´m a slacker.

So it sure has been awhile. And, unfortunately, I haven´t written anything that I can just easily upload onto my livejournal, either. For those of you who actually read this in attempts to keep up to date with my life, I apologize.

The last week I wrote, I had just met Saul. Things with him are great, even though I have not seen him yet and the chances of seeing him before Easter seem slim. His grandmother has been very sick, but is starting to recuperate slowly. Keep her in your prayers, if you do that. Plus, he is the worship leader in the Episcopal church in Tegus, and is super busy until Cuaresma (Lent) is over. Ah well, I´ve waited before, right?

Things at school have been crazy lately, but I will do a quick bullet list just to catch you up on the conflict:
1. The Honduran teachers won't sign contracts. I think they are finally starting to sign them, like 2 months later. Most of them have worked at this school for at least 4 years if not longer.
2. The Directora (principal), as it turned out, was giving unauthorized discounts to certain families. Of course, now that we have an Admistrator, it was just time until this came out into the open. She got fired, along with the secretary. There was a lot of tension on the whole bilingual school thing between her and Veronica, since well, the old Directora did not speak English.
3. As of last week, we have a new Directora and secretary. They are both bilingual. Thank goodness. I really like both of them, and I think that the directora will actually help make my job easier instead of making it more difficult.
4. A week before the secretary lost her job, she pulled her two kids out of school (my devil child in 1st grade and her daughter in 2nd grade). While they were both unbearably cute, not having them does make the day go more smoothly, and are 2 less kids that I have to give failing grades to.
5. I'm not sure if I have written about Michael. He is a first grader who comes to Holy Trinity on a scholarship, from an orphanage. He is most definitey ADHD and is completely lost in class, since he doesn't really know any English. He needs way more attention than I can give him. He came for about a month, and then the organization pulled him out since they thought he was too much of a burden, and not trying hard enough to behave well and learn. Veronica really wants him in school, so he left for a week, and then came back this past Monday. She's been so busy, that he just kind of came back into my class and that was that. We are having the same problems as before and now I just don't know what to do, since parents are starting to complain about him again. Well, the new director knows the story now, and I'm really hoping that next week we can figure out how to handle him. You cannot just dump this kind of kid into my classroom! He can't sit still for more than 3 minutes at a time, doesn't even know the letter A in English, and just fights with the kids. He is pretty cute though.
So, that's the low down.

Today is my birthday, and so far, it's been wonderful. Thursday, I went to visit a family I know, who are missionaries here in Ceiba. I will write about them soon. (I know, I always say that). They made me a cake. Then, on Friday at school, the teachers had a surprise after school "meeting" and had Tres Leches (only the best dessert in the whole WORLD). And then today, I was awoken to yet ANOTHER cake being delivered to my door by Isabel and her daughter Nicolle. For lunch, I was invited to go eat Chinese food with Wendy and Luis from church. Tonight, I'm going to Arreciffe's (the best restaurant in Ceiba, with La Gringa and her husband), and I am going to hang out with some friends later on.

Yay for birthdays. 23. I'm almost in my mid twenties, or is 23 already technically in the mid twenties? Regardless, I am apparently almost past my marrying age (according to about everyone in Honduras), so I guess I better get hitched soon.

I'm starting to put some pictures back up on my website. Slowly. There's some of Saul up there. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pollitatica/albumsI'll write more soon. I promise.

4 comments:

La Gringa said...

It's about time, slacker. ;D

Hmmm, 23. Well, I don't know about being married, but you should have at least 2 or 3 kids by now. ;D

I looked at the photos. Who is the boy in the "Flight" t-shirt? He looks like a handful!

Hey, we had a good time Saturday!

Katrina said...

I had a great time as well! As always, we will have to do it again.

That is Alejandro, who I lovingly referred to as the devil child. He is the ex secretary´s son, and as such, no longer attends our school.

Shame. :)

No, cute kid ... but a ¨handful¨ is a bit of an understatement.

Honduras Sprout said...

Oh my yes...tres leches is the most divine cake dessert in the world!

Honduras Sprout said...

Oh yeah- Happy (belated)Birthday!!! ....and tic-toc, tic-toc. j/k ;O)