Tuesday, January 23, 2007


So I did go to Tela this weekend, and I also forgot to take my camera. Oh well, I'll be back. I wasn't going to go since Saturday morning I woke up and it was cloudy here in Ceiba. I made some pancakes and watched some Gilmore Girls and then finally around 11am the clouds starting breaking. So, I packed my stuff up really quick, took my dirty laundry to the Lavanderia and caught a taxi over to the bus terminal. I got a non stop bus to Tela which took about an hour and 45 minutes, and was in a nice Greyhound type bus. It cost L60, about $3.

I got there around 1:30PM and walked around lost for awhile before I broke out my travel guide and found a place to stay. I stayed at a little place called the Mini Hotel Posada del Sol. It was a cute little cabina type place ran by a lady named Doña Berta. It cost L160, about $8. I think that it would have been the same price if there would have been 2 people and not just one. It was a cute little place with an outdoor covered patio with a TV and about 8 rooms. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were amazing.

That afternoon, I went to the beach for a couple of hours. I came back and ended up watching King Kong with someone who was watching it on TV. Then, I went to eat dinner at Pizzeria Bambino that I heard was good. It was really tasty! The small pizza cost me L66, and it was more than enough food for me. The word on the menu that they used for mushrooms was not "hongos" though, and that threw me off. Then, I went back, watched about half of The Matrix 2 with someone else and went to bed early.The next morning, I got up around 9:30 and had breakfast at Merendero Frank. It cost L55 including fresh squeezed orange juice. It's interesting here, because in Costa Rica all the little restaurants are called sodas. Here, they are called cosetas, comedores, or merenderos.

Anyway, then I went to a different beach, a little walk across the bridge in "New Tela," which was apparently built for the US people that ran the United Fruit Company (now called Dole). Nice, right. Well, there's a resort over there and the beach in front of it is better than the beach in town. I burnt my upperback to a crisp, of course. More because of the walk over where I wasn't wearing sun screen on my back. Oh well, the rest of me is fine, and my back is feeling much better today.I was at the beach for about 2 hours and then went back to get my back from Doña Berta, which she so nicely kept for me. I caught a 2:00 chicken bus back to Ceiba. It was an old school bus, and stopped a million times. I got back to Ceiba around 2:20 or so. It took longer, but cost less in comparison, only L30.That was my trip. It was a nice, relaxing time.

Next time I go, I'll take pictures!

No comments: